The National Government will shelter baby Junior Sagini whose eyes were gouged out and his sister in a new safe house.
Cabinet Secretary for Public Service, Affirmative Action, and Gender Aisha Jumwa said the two will now be taken care of by the government.
Kisii Governor Simba Arati said Jumwa called her on Monday to order that the two be transferred to the new safe house in Nairobi.
“I am happy the CS has offered to help us in regard with the safe house solution. The children will be safer there,” Arati said.
He said it is suspected Sagini’s sister had been defiled severally and thus the need to have them relocated to a safer place.
The mother of the two children was also arrested and arraigned for child neglect.
Her son, Sagini, 3, was attacked and his eyes gouged out on Thursday night at Ikuruma in Marani Kisii.
One suspect has since been arraigned in court for attempted murder.
Alex Ochogo was accused of attempted murder by the prosecution on Monday when he appeared in court.
He will be detained for five more days at Rioma police station as detectives carried out further investigations.
More suspects, including one woman, are still at large even as doctors at Kisii Eye Hospital discharged baby Sagini on Sunday.
The case will come up for mention on December 23.