Slices of roasted butternut layered with a rich bolognaise and creamy bechamel sauce.
2 medium butternuts, peeled and the pips removed
3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil and extra for the mince
2 tsp (10ml) chopped thyme
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
500g beef mince
1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
1 can (410g) diced tomato
1 cup (250ml) beef stock
2 sprigs rosemary
salt and freshly milled pepper
1 tsp (5ml) sugar
5 Tbsp (75ml) butter
½ cup (125ml) cake flour
3 cups (750ml)
1 cup (250ml) grated mature cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Carefully slice the butternut into 1cm-thick slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and thyme leaves and season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until cooked.
- For the mince, cook the onion and garlic in a generous splash of olive oil until soft and brown.
- Add the mince and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until well-browned.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes, then add the canned tomato, beef stock and rosemary.
- Cook for 1 hour over low to medium heat.
- Season well with salt, pepper and sugar.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk the whole time to make sure all the lumps are out.
- Cook over medium heat until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Layer the white sauce, mince and butternut in a medium oven-proof dish, ending with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 200C for 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and golden.
Source – Cooking365coza