Connect with us

    Hi, what are you looking for?

    Afghanistan war

    World

    Afghanistan war: Taliban push on while rejecting truce

    The Taliban has rejected international calls for a ceasefire in Afghanistan, as they push for new territory.

    They are reported to have overrun the key northern city of Kunduz, as well as Sar-e-Pul and Taloqan. Fierce fighting continues in two more northern cities.

    Five regional capitals have fallen to the militants since Friday, with Kunduz their most important gain this year.

    US and Afghan planes have carried out airstrikes on the militants. Afghan officials say dozens of Taliban died.

    However, a spokesman for the Taliban warned against further US intervention while speaking to Al Jazeera TV on Sunday.

    Violence has escalated across Afghanistan after the US and other international forces began to withdraw their troops from the country, following 20 years of military operations.

    Taliban militants have made rapid advances in recent weeks. Having captured large swathes of the countryside, they are now targeting key towns and cities.

    The three northern cities fell to Taliban control within hours of each other on Sunday, with one resident in Kunduz describing the situation as “total chaos”.

    Videos posted on social media showed Taliban fighters inside government buildings in Kunduz and Sar-e-Pul, though they cannot be independently verified.

    The Afghan government, meanwhile, said special forces were still fighting inside Kunduz.

    A Taliban spokesman told the BBC they were now targeting Pul-e-Khumri, the capital of Baghlan province.

    Heavy fighting has been reported in the city, as well as in Mazar-e-Sharif, a trading hub on the border with Uzbekistan.

    On Monday morning a loud explosion was heard outside the police headquarters in the southern city of Lashkar Gah.

    Residents there said about 20 civilians had been killed in the past two days, and a school and a clinic were destroyed in the fighting.

    Source – BBC

    In Other News – Chibok schoolgirl reunited with family after seven years in Boko Haram captivity

    One abducted girl from the Nigerian town of Chibok has been freed and reunited with her parents seven years after Boko Haram militants kidnapped her and more than 200 of her classmates, Borno state’s governor said on Saturday.

    The raid on the school in the northeastern town one night in April 2014 sparked an international outcry and a viral campaign on social media with the hashtag #bringbackourgirls. learn more

    You May Also Like

    Entertainment

    Television personality and musician Zulu Mkhathini has just released his latest single which he has dedicated to women. The single is a taste of...

    Entertainment

    An anonymous list is circulating that accuses various men of rape, and rapper Da L.E.S has also objected to being so named. Music producer...

    Scandals

    Most of us love Zodwa Wabantu for telling the truth and being honest for who she really is right? Well, I think this time...

    South Africa News

    Three people have been arrested for the kidnapping of Amy’Leigh de Jager, who was snatched from her mother’s car at the Laerskool Kollegepark in...

    Copyright © 2020 ZoxPress Theme. Theme by MVP Themes, powered by WordPress.