The IEBC has withdrawn from a panel formed by the state to ensure election preparedness.
In a letter to Interior PS Karanja Kibicho dated November 22, electoral agency chairman Wafula Chebukati said it had made the decision to withdraw from the National Multi-Sectoral Consultative Forum on Election Preparedness and Technical Working Committee after consultations, adding that the panel would interfere with its independence.
“After consultations and in-depth critical appraisal of the TORs… the IEBC would wish to respectfully withdraw from further engagement in the activities of the said NMSCF and TWC,” he said.
The National Multi-Sectoral Consultative Forum on Election Preparedness and Technical Working Committee bring together stakeholders to prepare for the 2022 elections.
It comprises all ministries, agencies, and departments responsible for the election cycle.
Chebukati said the TORs had the net effect of “violating the Constitution by purporting to direct the commission on how to discharge its mandate contrary to Article 88 of the Constitution.”
The letter was copied to Attorney General Kihara Kariuki, Chief Justice Martha Koome, Treasury CS Ukur Yatani, ICT CS Joe Mucheru, NIS director general Philip Kameru, IG Hillary Mutyambai, DPP Noordin Haji among others.
Chebukati also accused the forum of assuming the role of other institutions, including the Justice and Legal Affairs Committee of the National Assembly.
Last week, Deputy President William Ruto’s UDA wrote a formal complaint to Koome, urging her to keep off management of elections.
The United Democratic Alliance complained of Koome’s “continuous involvement in the working of the Technical Working Committee which is tasked and mandated with 2022 election preparedness.”