Manchester United have had a bid for Jadon Sancho worth up to £91.3m (€100m) rejected by Borussia Dortmund.
The offer was for an initial £73m, rising to up to £91.3m, which fell short of Dortmund’s £108m valuation.
Sancho has not flown with the rest of the Dortmund squad for the German Super Cup in Munich against Bayern due to a “respiratory infection”. He has tested negative for Covid-19.
A bid was expected from the Premier League club this week, but all of the noises coming from Dortmund would suggest that Sancho is staying in Germany.
Earlier on Tuesday, Dortmund captain Marco Reus told Sky in Germany that Sancho is staying for one more year.
Despite the Dortmund hierarchy stating on several occasions – both before and after the deadline – that if it was not met Sancho would remain with the club, rumblings have continued over United submitting a bid before the transfer window closes on October 5.
United made a breakthrough in negotiations with Sancho’s representatives earlier this month, with wages and agents fees no longer thought to be an issue for the Premier League club.
However, on September 23, Dharmesh Sheth told The Transfer Show Borussia Dortmund had been left “bemused” by United’s attempts to sign the England forward.
Football writer Andy Mitten has been questioning Manchester United’s waning power in the transfer market and says they have lost the ability to do the “dark arts of transfers” with fans receiving “mixed messages” about the club’s financial position.
“It’s very frustrating for fans and they’ve seen just one player come in so far,” Mitten told Sky Sports News.
“I don’t think anyone has the same pulling power as Sir Alex Ferguson but to be fair to Ole, he’s been putting calls in and I know he’s spoken to several managers about players who he likes.”