The government has extended the existing COVID-19 containment measures until Tuesday, September 29, pending a review.
The measures include the daily dusk-to-dawn curfew and closure of bars which were imposed on August 26.
Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua said in a gazette notice on Monday that President Kenyatta would deliver the 12th national address on the COVID-19 situation in the country on Tuesday.
The address will be preceded by the planned National COVID-19 conference slated for Monday.
The conference according to Kinyua, will help chart Kenya’s COVID-19 future as well as review the progress so far.
“The National COVID-19 Conference will be presided over by his excellency the President on Monday, 28th September 2020 and will feature participants from the entire spectrum of our national life. This pivotal conference is tipped to be a turning point in Kenya’s fight against the novel coronavirus Disease,” Kinyua said.
President Kenyatta will also likely talk school-reopening after TSC ordered all teachers to return to school by Monday, September 28.
On Monday, Education CS George Magoha said the official school re-opening date would be given after consultation with other industry stakeholders.
The Education Response Committee chaired by Sara Ruto of the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) has recommended phased reopening from mid-October to November.
Priority will be given to Standard Seven, Standard Eight, Form Three and Form Four students.
On August 26, President Kenyatta had announced a raft of new measures aimed at keeping COVID-19 tethered.
Under the new directives, bars and nightclubs would remain closed for an additional 30 days.
However, the ban on the sale of alcohol by licensed hotels with residence and the sale of second-hand clothes was lifted.
The existing meausures were to lapse on Friday, September 25.
Also in other news;
Chief Justice David Maraga has written to President Uhuru Kenyatta advising him to dissolve Parliament over its inability to pass the two-thirds gender rule.
CJ Maraga, in his unprecedented move, says that Parliament has refused to comply with the High Court order to enact legislation required to implement the two-thirds gender rule for over nine years. Learn more